Fire ignites inside prawn trawler at Port Lincoln

RESPONSE: MFS and CFS firefighters responded after a fire ignited inside the hull of a prawn trawler at Port Lincoln.
RESPONSE: MFS and CFS firefighters responded after a fire ignited inside the hull of a prawn trawler at Port Lincoln.

Firefighters have managed to save a $4 million prawn trawler after a fire ignited in the ship's hull at a slipway in Port Lincoln on Wednesday afternoon.

Port Lincoln MFS responded just before 3.15pm after receiving reports a 22 metre prawn trawler on a slipway had caught alight on Slipway Road in Port Lincoln.

The trawler was on the slipway undergoing maintenance when a pile of rags inside the freezer room in the hull accidentally ignited from equipment used for maintenance.

The fire took hold in the hull, which then became smoke-logged

Altogether 17 firefighters from three MFS appliances and two CFS appliances attended the scene with crews using thermal imaging cameras due to the poor visibility inside the hull.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within 15 minutes and managed to save the trawler with damage limited to the hull.

There were no injuries and damage caused by the fire is estimated at $100,000.

This story Prawn trawler saved from hull fire first appeared on Port Lincoln Times.