Broncos CEO backs Seibold, rejects rebuild

Despite six-straight NRL losses, Brisbane are sticking with embattled coach Anthony Siebold.
Despite six-straight NRL losses, Brisbane are sticking with embattled coach Anthony Siebold.

Brisbane CEO Paul White has guaranteed Anthony Seibold won't be sacked this season, insisting the coach's long-term plan for the NRL club is on track.

But he refuses to call it a rebuild.

White called a press conference on Sunday to throw his support behind Seibold after the club suffered a sixth straight loss, saying he believed the besieged mentor was the right man to lead them to success.

"He's a good coach, he's going through a tough time at the moment," he said.

"Many other coaches - Wayne (Bennett) included - have gone through tough periods in their career...(but) we have stayed the course and been rewarded on the other side of it and that is what we intend to do now."

Asked if he could guarantee Seibold won't be sacked this season, White said: "That's been categorically clear.

"We are not going to make decisions like that (sack coach) six weeks in to a recommenced season.

"Now is the time to reinforce our support for the coach and playing group to hopefully help them turn this season around."

There was speculation the Broncos were reluctant to ditch Seibold - who is 18 months into a five-year deal - after revelations he did not have a performance-based termination clause, ensuring a huge payout if sacked.

But White claimed Seibold's long-term master plan for the club was still on track.

"Most definitely. We didn't plan on losing six straight games ...but I am happy with our roster but we do need to take a longer-term view of that," White said.

"There will be ups and downs. We could turn this around next week and hopefully we do but with the development of a playing squad and roster you do have ups and downs.

"We know there will be peaks and troughs with that plan."

Yet White stuck with the cashed-up glamour club's mantra that they "don't do rebuilds" despite boasting one of the NRL's youngest rosters.

"It's not a rebuild. It's not what we are doing," he said.

"The majority of those guys - Payne Haas, David Fifita, Herbie Farnworth, Xavier Coates, Tesi Niu - they are all a year older than last year so it's not a rebuild.

"We've had those guys in mind since they were 15 years to when they debuted in first grade.

"And we will have another wave coming behind them. We are a development club and have the benefit of that.

"I think the members and fans can see what we are building. We are a club that does have a plan (and) our fans and members are prepared to go on that journey with us."

The pressure took an emotional toll on Broncos players on Saturday night with skipper Alex Glenn and halfback Brodie Croft in tears after a shock 26-16 loss to the Warriors.

"They want to turn it around," White said. "The only way they can do that is that if we can give them clarity about our unwavering support."

Australian Associated Press