Authorities in North Macedonia have announced the second-highest daily increase of new COVID-19 infections since late February, after restrictions were recently eased.
Health Minister Venko Filipce said on Monday seven people died and 89 new cases were confirmed in the latest 24-hour reporting period - bringing the respective totals to 140 deaths and 2315 confirmed cases.
He said plans to reopen borders would be delayed pending further monitoring of the outbreak.
Most of the new cases were reported around the capital Skopje, Filipce said, adding that local lockdowns would be reimposed in affected areas later this week if infection numbers remain high.
North Macedonia's government allowed restaurants and bars to reopen last week.
Australian Associated Press