Geelong superstar and AFLPA president Patrick Dangerfield isn't convinced that 16 minute quarters will be here to stay when the AFL competition finally resumes.
The league adopted abbreviated quarters - down from regulation 20 minutes - from round one in the face of the looming coronavirus pandemic.
A number of AFL greats and experts believe the AFL should stick with shorter quarters after a successful audition in round one.
The move was made to theoretically squeeze more matches in a shorter period later in the year but Dangerfield says players are yet to commit to it under the current collective bargaining agreement.
"Clearly we're still in the middle of a current CBA so the way I see it is that 20 minutes plus time on, 22 games throughout the season - so the CBA will have to be revisited," Dangerfield told Channel 7 on Sunday.
"It's not just as clear cut as saying, 'Oh it worked really well in round one, let's continue it."
The Brownlow Medallist also has reservations about proposed playing list cuts down from 38-40 to 35 as part of a leaner AFL club model for 2021.
He feels players will be under pressure coming off a massively interrupted year.
"The expectation on players is huge in terms of the physical component of the game," he said.
"Reducing lists a significant amount would clearly have an impact on that."
Dangerfield led the players' union's discussion with the AFL which resolved a minimum 50 per cent pay cut for the season and was proud of their quick resolution.
But he came under fire from some parties, including AFL legend Leigh Matthews, which he said had been hard to swallow.
"It takes years to organise and orchestrate a CBA and we changed one in just a few days," said Dangerfield.
"It was tough that week - any time that players or the Players Association are slandered throughout the industry, it gets to you.
"I haven't spoken to Leigh yet but I'm sure I will get the chance."
Australian Associated Press