This year the Gawler Aquatic Centre will open its 57th season on Tuesday, October 8.
The centre, located at Victoria Terrace, continues to be a popular venue for swimming lessons, carnivals, birthday parties, squad, lap and recreational swimming.
The opening day will include $2 entry all day, diving board, inflatable and the latest music.
Mayor Karen Redman encourages the entire community to use this great community facility again this season.
Last season resulted in record overall attendances and another successful year for the Learn to Swim programMayor Karen Redman
"Last season resulted in record overall attendances and another successful year for the Learn to Swim program," Mayor Karen Redman explained.
Building on last season's success, the Centre undertook further upgrades in the offseason that included:
- Automated irrigation for the lawns and garden beds
- Tiling works on the Learn to Swim and 50m Pool
- Electrical upgrades to plant rooms
- Purchase and replacement of commercial 50m pool cleaner
The council has been successful in obtaining a Sport Australia Grant to upgrade the change room and first aid facilities at the Centre.
The total project cost will be $594,455 with council's contribution of $185,000 ($130,000 cash, $55,000 in-kind). Planning is well underway with works to commence during the 2020 off-season.
The Centre's award winning Learn to Swim Program is AUSTSWIM accredited and continues to grow each season.
Qualified, professional and friendly instructors provide students an enjoyable and high quality water education program. To cater for demand, the Learn to Swim program has now expanded to seven-days-a-week (Monday to Friday 3:30pm - 6:30pm and weekends from 8am-12pm).
In addition, classes are now available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings between 9am-9:30am.
This season there are a number of exciting opportunities within the Learn to Swim Program:
- Term 4 (2019): Monday 14 October to Sunday 15 December
- December Intensive (2019): Monday 16 December to Friday 20 December
- VACSWIM (2020): Thursday 2 January to Friday 10 January
- January Intensive (2020): Monday 13 January to Friday 17 January
- Term 1 (2020): Tuesday 28 January to Sunday 5 April
For more information on the Aquatic Centre and all of its exciting programs and services, visit www.gawler.sa.gov or phone 8522 2034.