UPDATE: Blakeview Salmonella cases caused by raw egg handling

The investigation into a Salmonella outbreak linked to three Angkor Bakery stores, one of them in Blakeview, has found the likely source of contamination was related to handling of raw egg products.

The number of cases of Salmonella linked to this outbreak has risen to 51, including 19 people who required hospitalisation.

SA Health’s Acting Director of Public Health Services, Dr Fay Jenkins, said a number of food and environmental samples collected from all stores last week returned positive results for Salmonella.

“Given the sample results and the strain of the Salmonella outbreak, it is most likely that the cause of contamination was related to handling raw egg products,” Dr Jenkins said.

“The owners of the Angkor Bakery stores continue to work closely with the local councils and SA Health to improve their practices, and all three bakeries closed voluntarily during the investigation.

“Following the remediation work, subsequent tests returned negative results for Salmonella, and two of the businesses at Sprinkbank Plaza (Burton) and Blakes Crossing (Blakeview) are able to reopen. They will be closely monitored by the local council.

“We are still working with the Hollywood Plaza (Salisbury Downs) store, and in the meantime that business will remain closed.”

Avoiding Salmonella risk

Raw egg products can be risky ingredients if they are not appropriately handled, and safe handling practices should be followed by businesses and in the home.

“Many food poisoning outbreaks have been associated with foods containing raw or partially cooked eggs such as aioli, mayonnaise, hollandaise or tartare sauce and mousse,” Dr Jenkins said.

“The external shell of eggs may contain harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, and while eggs may not necessarily look or smell ‘off’ they may be contaminated.

“It’s important to check that eggs are clean and not cracked or dirty – and those that are should be thrown out.

“Preparation surfaces and utensils should be thoroughly washed, sanitised and dried after handling eggs, and remember to think of raw eggs like raw meat, and wash your hands thoroughly after handling them.”

People can experience symptoms of Salmonella infection between six and 72 hours after exposure and symptoms usually last for three to seven days.

These include fever, diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches, stomach cramps and loss of appetite.

More severe symptoms may occur in young children, older people, pregnant women and people who are immunocompromised.

Anyone who develops these symptoms and is concerned should see their doctor and get tested for Salmonella.