Riesling has secured its place in the heart of Barossa’s winemaking industry, with an impressive seven wins recorded this year’s Barossa Wine Show on Thursday night.
Peter Lehmann Wines 2015 Riesling swept the pool, taking out five trophies, including the Hahn Corporation Trophy for Most Outstanding Barossa White Wine, The Seguin Moreau Trophy for Most Outstanding Barossa Single Vineyard Wine and Wine of Show – The MTA- Mobile Travel Agents / Qatar Airways Trophy for Most Outstanding Barossa Wine.
Peter Lehmann Wines Senior Winemaker Tim Dolan dedicated the win to the wine’s namesake, Andrew Wigan.
Unsurprisingly, the judging panel were particularly taken with the varietal, noting “it’s classes like this (2017 Riesling) that keep us coming back to judge wine shows. Some truly beautiful examples of one of the region’s true treasures.”
The awards also shone a light on the quality of the region’s small winemakers. Quin Wines are celebrating 4 wins in their first year of entry, including Best 2016 Shiraz, Best 2017 Shiraz, Best Shiraz (classes 9, 10 & 11) and Most Successful Exhibitor – Small Producer.
“The 2016 Shiraz class in particular was amazing and it was a nice surprise to come out on top,” winemaker and owner Andrew Quin said.
Barossa Grenache continued its charge with St John’s Road awarded the Rod Schubert Most Outstanding Barossa Red Table Wine for their 2017 The Resilient Grenache.
2018 Barossa Wine Show results
Riedel Best in Class:
- Best Sparkling Wine: Teusner Wines 2010 MC Sparkling Shiraz
- Best Red Wine – Other blends: The Yalumba Wine Company 2016 Hand Picked Shiraz Viognier
- Best 2018 Red Wine: Tscharke Wines 2018 Matching Socks Touriga
- Best Red Fortified Wine: Saltram Wine Estate NV Mr Pickwick Rare Tawny
- Best Museum White Fortified Wine: Grant Burge Wines NV PX Black Apera
- Best Museum Red Fortified Wine: Liebichwein NV Rare Tawny
- Pernod Ricard Winemakers – L Hugo Gramp Memorial trophy – Best 2018 Riesling:
- Rieslingfreak No. 4 Eden Valley Riesling
- Cozwine trophy: Best 2017 and older Riesling: Peter Lehmann Wines 2015 Wigan Riesling
- Prowine trophy: Best Semillon: Peter Lehmann Wines 2012 Margaret Semillon
- Barrel Finance and Logistics trophy: Best Chardonnay: St Hugo 2017 Eden Valley Chardonnay
- Lafford Australia trophy: Best White Wine – other Varieties or Blends: The Yalumba Wine Company 2017 The Virgilius Viognier
- Kwik Kopy Norwood trophy: Best Rose: Grant Burge Wines 2018 Pinot Rose
- Seam trophy: Best Sweet Wine: The Yalumba Wine Company 2017 Heggies Vineyard Estate Botrytis Riesling
- Tanunda Cellars trophy: Best 2017 Shiraz: Quin Wines 2017 Eden Valley Shiraz
- Saury trophy: Best 2016 Shiraz: Quin Wines 2016 Barossa Valley Shiraz
- Barossa Auto Group trophy: Best 2015 and older Shiraz: Saltram Wine Estate 2014 No. 1 Shiraz
- Keg Factory trophy: Best Cabernet Sauvignon: Grant Burge Wines 2016 Shadrach Cabernet Sauvignon
- Stiller Coopers trophy: Best Shiraz & Cabernet Sauvignon blend: Jacob’s Creek 2014 Expedition Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz
- Vinpac International trophy: Best Grenache: St John’s Road 2017 The Resilient Grenache
- Bob McLean trophy, sponsored by Lallemand Australia: Best Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvedre blend: St Hugo 2017 Grenache Shiraz Mataro
- JBG Architects trophy: Best Red Wine – other varieties: Peter Lehmann Wines 2017 Hill & Valley Tempranillo
- Classic Oak Products trophy: Best Museum Red Wine: Saltram Wine Estate 2012 Edward Salter Cabernet Sauvignon
- Tarac Technologies trophy: Best Fortified Wine: Grant Burge Wines NV PX Black Apera
- Barossa Cellar trophy: The Chairman’s Selection: Wolf Blass Wines 2016 Platinum Cabernet Sauvignon
- AP John Coopers trophy: Best Shiraz: Quin Wines 2016 Barossa Valley Shiraz
- Peter Lehmann Perpetual trophy: Outstanding Wine of Provenance: Peter Lehmann Wines Wigan Riesling 2002, 201 & 2018
- Hahn Corporation trophy: Most Outstanding Barossa White Wine: Peter Lehmann Wines 2015 Wigan Riesling
- Rod Schubert trophy: Most Outstanding Barossa Red Table Wine: St John’s Road 2017 The Resilient Grenache
- Seguin Moreau trophy: Most Outstanding Single Vineyard Wine: Peter Lehmann Wines 2015 Wigan Riesling
- Cooperages 1912 Australia trophy TROPHY: Most Successful Exhibitor – Small Producer: Quin Wines
- Multi-Colour Barossa trophy: Most Successful Exhibitor – Medium Producer: Murray Street Vineyards
- Ahrens trophy: Most Successful Exhibitor: Large Producer: Wolf Blass Wines
- MTA - Mobile Travel Agents?QATAR Airways trophy: Most Outstanding Barossa Wine: Peter Lehmann Wines 2015 Wigan Riesling