Barossa League Footy Review | GALLERY


After a tumultuous week Willaston shook off all the outside influences and produced an impressive 23-point win over Tanunda at Elliot Goodger Reserve.

A couple of goals down the quarter time they kicked six goals in the second term to lead by a single major at lemons.

When Dean Terlich, the Tanunda coach was sent off in the last quarter the Donnybrooks pushed a one goal advantage at the time out to four and they would go on to win, 13.7 (85) to 9.8 (62).

New Willaston coach Shaun Baker said his troops did it in the hardest way possible.

“Stuart Ferenci was red carded at half-time and I had to push Alex Barclay into ruck from centre half back,” Baker mused.

“He then came off with a suspected broken nose and I had to find another option pushing Brayden Coombs into that role.

“Then an incident on the outer wing with (Dean) Terlich in the last quarter where he was yellow carded, certainly seemed to be a bit of a momentum changer.

“We just had to beat them on the overlap and in somewhat of a surprise, besides Josh Trembath they played a small forward line.

“It was one of the best wins in my time of the club with the spirit of the group and there is a real brotherhood amongst this squad and what they are a standing.

“I was forces for the first 10 minutes at the start in the third quarter just to get the guys to hold on, as we had to play with 17 man which makes this victory even more noteworthy/

The game share of incidence and there was a lot of emotion shown both by the playing group and members of the crowd at half-time.

Former state underage footballer and Central District player Josh Waldhuter was outstanding in Willaston’s important victory, along with Captain Sam Walton and defender Michael Clinch.

Forward and makeshift ruckman Brayden Coombs into deserves a special mention for his heroic performance while Matthew Spirrit was important at various times.

Another indigenous defender Shaun Childs worked manfully in defence.

Walton kicked three goals for the victors while Spirrit, Waldhuter and other co-captain Tyson Irlam each kick two.

Luke Snowden in defence was Tanunda is best, followed by Andrew Prior who did a job on Michael Howson and the hard-working Sam Brooks. The Magpies best forward was certainly Josh Trembath with five goals.

He, along with Leigh Westhoff on his wing and Riley McFarlane through the midfield also had their moments.


Barossa Districts again had trouble with Angaston, with the eight placed Panthers giving the reigning premiers a real battle.

The Bulldogs were eight points down at half-time before a five-goal third quarter saw the visitors engineer a 11 point lead at the last break.

Both teams kicked three goals in the final term, with Barossa holding on to win at Panther Park, 11.5 (71) to 9.8 (62) despite having one less scoring shot.

Barossa playing coach Todd Miles confirmed that it was just 15 minutes of strong football in the third quarter, which turned the game around for the Bulldogs.

“Angaston always trouble is for some reason and played some good football for three quarters of the game,” Miles said.

“The boys received a spray and they responded in the third quarter.

“We certainly need to play some more convincing football over the next three weeks if we want to be competitive in the major round.

“It was a modest performance but we got the points and we’re moving on.”

Hayden Traynor in defence was the Bulldogs best, followed by the strongly built Ben Cummings both of half back and then on ball where his second half was very good.

Senior player Matt Stelzer, on the ball and up forward was also a strong contributor, as was Jared Traynor on his wing, with strong skill execution.

Developing talent Oscar Barnett across half forward and the classy Michael Bratton used the ball brilliantly.

The quintet of Jack Maxwell, Jack Schuurmans, Darren Shillabeer and in his return game after a broken leg Jaydn Goodfellow, along with Stelzer all kicked two goals each.

Angaston wingman Ryan Humphries-Canelly on his wing had claims as best on ground with his outstanding performance, while fellow young talent Ross Kuhn kicked three goals.

Defender Joel Wilson, Jayden Antonie and in a return to form Alex Brackstone and Callan Lowke also were noteworthy.


Freeling got the job done against Gawler Central at the “Dog Track’ keeping their slight finals hopes alive.

The Redlegs kicked 6.8 and had 14 scoring shots in the first quarter to Gawler Centrals three, which set up the result.

Over the last three quarters, the bottom placed Gawler Central actually kicked seven goals to Freeling’s six, but the Redlegs came out winners - 12 11 (83) to 8.16 (64) – by 17 points.

Freeling coach Scott Dutschke confirmed that his team’s effort overall wasn’t impressive and the Redlegs second quarter wasn’t good at all.

“We started with the breeze towards the river end should have converted more from our shots for goal,” he continued.

“Gawler Central second quarter was pretty handy and overall we were unconvincing… but I’ll take the two points at this time of the year.”

Freeling’s best was teenager Dylan Whimpress across half back and on the wing, followed by midfielder Josh Hand and the hard working Dutschke himself.

The coaching staff were happy with Ben Getyenbeek’s performance, while Cameron Thompson on a wing, along with Travis Muster and Jayden Ruediger down back were also solid.

Brady Scott again was a solid avenue with three goals, while Adam Cockshell and Joel Cochrane each kicked two.

For the Tigers, Casey Thomas was their best in defence, followed by the hard-working Jamie Wegener and big man Tyson Duffield.

Corey Solly, Jordan Neat and Andrew Wright also had their moments, while Anthony Morganteand Wegener both kicked two goals each.


The big clash between Nuriootpa and South Gawler was a tight affair for three and a half quarters.

The scores were locked away at both the quarter time and half time breaks and Nuri led by a slender two point margin at lemons.

After the Lions took an early lead in the last quarter the Tigers charged home with the last six goals to win the game 14.18 (102) to 9.10 (64).

“It was a pretty windy day, blowing towards the southern end and scoring was hard,” playing Nuri coach Henry Slattery said.

“It wasn’t until the last quarter we started to break the game open.

“By that time both teams didn’t have a bench.

“It was pleasing from our perspective that our last quarter was our strongest term and we showed the ability to finish off a game.

“This was a really good contest for three quarters and South really pushed us with their pressure and intensity.

“It was pleasing from my perspective as we finish the game well and grabbed an important victory.”

Both clubs had injury issues.

Nuri lost skipper Jack Scholz with a groin injury during the warm ups and Jason Rodda had to come up from the B grade and in the end played eight quarters of football.

Also the coach, Slattery, had a hamstring issue and Tim Dimasi was forced from the field with a groin problem.

Jackson Baldwin produced a best on ground performance on the ball, while the Bentley brothers both produce pivotal performances; Scott in an on-ball roll and James down back.

Brad Hoepner was another strong contributor while Dominic Douglas also had his moments in ruck, Key forward Sam Gordon kick four goals and was a strong target in attack.

Along with Gordon’s haul, Baldwin finished with three, while Slattery and Dimasi both kicked two.

Brayden Lehman continued his outstanding season for South Gawler in defence.

Matt Naumann, Jackson Dare and Jackson Press all have their moments.

Jackson Press and Joseph Hay was also strong player for the vanquished, and Chris James displayed his leadership again.

South only had three goal kickers - Matt Norman who finished with four, while Dare and Press kicked three and two respectively.