The Redistribution Committee for South Australia last week published its report proposing names and boundaries for the ten federal electoral divisions which affects the Barossa.
Committee and Electoral Commissioner chairman Tom Rogers said the South Australian redistribution is required to enable a decrease from eleven to ten federal electoral divisions.
Nine of the existing eleven division names would be retained.
The Division of Port Adelaide would be abolished and the Division of Wakefield renamed ‘Spence’ in recognition of the prominent advocate for female suffrage and electoral reform Catherine Helen Spence.
“The committee believes the proposal caters for differing rates of expected growth and decline across the state while improving communities of interest where possible and using strong, identifiable features as boundaries,” Mr Rogers said.
The proposal would include:
- adjustment of the regional divisions of Barker and Grey - both of which need to gain electors,
- transfer of electors from the northern area of the existing Division of Wakefield into the regional proposed Division of Grey,
- abolition of the Division of Port Adelaide and distribution of a portion of those electors into a new northern Division of Spence - contributing to the change in the demographic of this proposed electoral division to become more metropolitan,
- transfer of the majority of the remaining electors in the former Division of Port Adelaide to the proposed Division of Hindmarsh to the south, parts of the Barossa Council transferred to the south-eastern outer Division of Barker, resulting in the council area being included in two divisions, not three as currently, and
- the transfer of electors between the outer metropolitan divisions to the south of Adelaide to balance elector numbers and align communities of interest where possible.
Individuals and organisations are now able to lodge objections to the Committee’s proposed divisions.
Written objections must be lodged no later than 6pm (ACST) Friday, May 11 2018 via email: FedRedistribution-SA@aec.gov.au.