SA Health has today advised that South Australians who are not vulnerable or at risk of listeriosis can resume consuming rockmelons from South Australian suppliers, after all contaminated melons were removed from the local supply chain.
On March 1, a warning was issued by SA Health following a national outbreak of Listeria linked to contaminated rockmelon.
SA Health’s director food and controlled drugs branch Fay Jenkins said to date there had been no recorded cases of Listeria infection in SA linked to the national outbreak.
“We have been working with all known local suppliers of the NSW rockmelons linked to the Listeria outbreak, and are confident the contaminated melons have been removed from the South Australian supply chain,” Dr Jenkins said.
“Listeria is found widely in the environment and rarely causes serious illness in the general population, however for vulnerable people it can be extremely serious or even life threatening.
“This group includes pregnant women and their unborn babies, newborn babies, people aged over 70, people of all ages with immune systems weakened by disease or illness, and anyone on medication that can suppress the immune system.”
SA Health reminds all people at risk of Listeriosis to avoid the following foods:
- Pre-cut fruit such as rockmelons
- Cold salads (fruit and vegetables) that are pre-packed or sold from salad bars and smorgasbords, such as coleslaw and fresh fruit salad
- Pre-cooked cold chicken, cold meats, pâté
- Raw seafood, uncooked smoked seafood (e.g. smoked salmon)
- Soft cheeses (e.g. brie, camembert, ricotta or blue-vein), and soft serve ice cream
- Unpasteurised milk or milk products
- Sprouted seeds or raw mushrooms.
For more information visit sahealth.sa.gov.au/youvegotwhat.