South Australians are being reminded to check their vaccination status for measles after another two cases of the disease were confirmed yesterday.
SA Health’s Chief Medical Officer Professor Paddy Phillips said the latest cases of measles were contracted locally.
“We have identified that the two latest cases of measles were contracted locally, most likely after being in the same location as one of the previously notified cases,” Professor Phillips said.
“Immunisation provides the best protection against measles and it’s vital that everyone makes sure they’ve had two doses of the measles vaccine not only to protect themselves but to protect the wider community.
“Measles is highly contagious and can be airborne, so it is easily spread amongst people who are not immunised through coughing and sneezing.
“People should look out for the symptoms that include fever, cough, runny nose, and sore eyes, followed by a blotchy rash which begins on the head and then spreads down the body.”
SA Health is urging anyone who isn’t fully immunised or who was in the locations at the times listed to be alert for symptoms over the next few weeks and to see a doctor if they become ill.
• Starplex Gym, 18-20 Alexander Avenue Evanston Park, from 9:30am to 11:30am on Thursday 15 September 2016.
• On the Run, 17-21 Philip Highway Elizabeth, from 11:30am to 12:30pm onThursday 15 September 2016.
• Elizabeth Shopping Centre and Aqua Café, 50 Elizabeth Way Elizabeth, from 12:00pm to 3:30pm on Thursday 15 September 2016.
• Burra Playground, Bridge Tce Burra, from 10:00am to 12:00pm on Friday 16 September 2016.
• La Pecora Nera (The Black Sheep Cafe), 3 Upper Thames St Burra, from 12:00pm to 1:30pm on Friday 16 September 2016.
• Burra Scrumpy Company, 1 John Barker St Burra, from 1:30pm to 2:30pm on Friday 16 September 2016.
• Gawler Green Shopping Centre, 4 Tulloch St Evanston Gardens from 8:00am to 8:30am on Friday 16 September 2016.
• Costco, 404-406 Churchill Rd Kilburn, from 1:00pm to 2:00pm on Saturday 17 September 2016.
• Harbour Town, 727 Tapleys Hill Road West Beach, from 2:00pm to 4:30pm on Saturday 17 September 2016.
• Big W, 2 Commercial Ln Gawler, from 12:00pm to 1:30pm on Sunday 18 September 2016.
• Gawler Hospital emergency department, from 8:30pm Sunday 18 September 2016 to 12:30am on Monday 19 September 2016.
• Lyell McEwin Hospital, including orthopaedic outpatients, from 10:00am to 11:45am and the emergency department from 4:00pm to 7:45pm on Monday 19 September 2016.
• Gawler Centrelink, 23 High St Gawler, from 12:30pm to 2:30pm on Monday 19 September 2016.
• Housing SA Gawler, 1/4 Seventh St Gawler South, from 1:00pm to 2:00pm on Monday 19 September 2016.
• Hyde and Partners Medical Centre, 6 Adelaide Rd Gawler South, from 1:15pm to 2:00pm on Monday 19 September 2016.
• Elizabeth Medical and Dental, 30 Philip Hwy Elizabeth, from 2:30pm to 3:30pm on Monday 19 September 2016.
• Tollgate Motel, 20 Mt Barker Rd Glen Osmond, from 8:00pm to 9:00pm on Monday 19 September 2016, and 12:00pm to 1:00pm on Tuesday 20 September 2016.
• Centacare Elizabeth, 34 Yorktown Road Elizabeth Park, from 1:00pm to 1:45pm on Tuesday 20 September 2016.
• Women’s and Children’s Hospital paediatric emergency department, from 2:00pm until 3:30pm on Tuesday 20 September 2016.