Williamstown Garden Club visits Friedensburg Church

Members practice script writing.
Members practice script writing.

The second meeting in September for the Williamstown Garden Club was a visit to the Friedensburg Church and school museum in Springton.

It was built in 1861 and used as a church until 1899 and as a school until 1913.

We were met by Grace Kroehn and David Herbig who gave us a short history of the building, while members sat at old school desks, practicing script writing with nibbed pens and ink.

A cottage was added for the teacher and is still lived in today, and it is good to see these old buildings being put to use.

The Club then moved on to the home of Rose and Mike Russell who welcomed us warmly with a brief history of their home, which had been a carpenter’s workshop in the 1880s.

Their half acre block had many flowering beds, with a lovely rosemary border, and beds ready for planting vegetables.

We then enjoyed afternoon tea under a lovely patio, followed by a brief garden club meeting.

Birthday greetings were given to Sandra Collett.

Members were reminded about potting up plants for our Christmas stall.

Next meeting on Monday, November 6, will be to Murrray Bridge via Mount Pleasant to visit a nursery and Murray Bridge members gardens.

Meet at the Church Hall to car pool and ready to leave at 10am.

Bring own lunch, drinks and chairs, for a picnic on the reserve. Visitors welcome.