Personal best times were plentiful and records tumbled at The CAMS Applewood Distillery 2017 South Australian Hillclimb Championships, held at Collingrove Hillclimb track last weekend.
The 2017 South Australian Hillclimb Champion is Nuriootpa's, David Mahon, with a time of 29.86 seconds.
Runners up were brothers Derek and Allan Foster of Meadows, who scored 30.46 and 31.42 seconds, respectively.
The Women's Trophy was won by Sarah Pfeiffer who was 9th overall and a best time of 33.61 seconds. Runners up were Tanya Langcake and Melanie Bishop.
The first day of the event commenced on a typical Spring morning in the Barossa cool and cloudy and finishing with blue skies and sunshine.
The competitors, officials and spectators enjoyed eight competitive and virtually trouble free runs with times tumbling as the day progressed, giving all drivers the best chance to set a winning time.
Top Ten times for Day One were:
1. David Mahon – Ninja GA7 – 29.86 secs
2. Derek Foster – White Suzuki – 30.68 secs
3. Robert Ellis – Acrobat Mk1 – 32.79 secs
4. John Davies – Mitsubishi Lancer Evo – 33.38 secs
5. Allan Foster – White Suzuki – 33.43 secs
6. Andrew Sarandis – Mitsubishi Lancer Evo – 33.44 secs
7. Alexander Neill – BAE Mk 2 - 33.53 secs
8. Matthew Woodland – Richards 201C - 33.57 secs
9. Sarah Pfeiffer – Mallock U2 – 33.61 secs
10. Tom Ferguson – Datsun 240Z – 33.80 secs
These results show a good representation across types of cars and classes, including Formula Libre, Sports Cars and Supersports, Rally Cars and Sports Sedans.
All involved looking forward to the promise of excellent Barossa weather for Day Two of competition with more Competitive runs for drivers to seek improvement on the times set on Day One and with the Top Twelve Shootout to close the program.
The Top ten times for Day Two are:
1. David Mahon Ninja GA7 29.86 seconds
2. Derek Foster White Suzuki 30.46
3. Allan Foster White Suzuki 31.42
4. Robert Ellis Acrobat Mk1 32.54
5. Matthew Woodland Richards 201C 32.99
6. John Davies Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 33.38
7. Andrew Sarandis Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 33.44
8. Alexander Neill BAE MK2 33.53
9. Sarah Pfeiffer Mallock U2 33.61
10. Tom Ferguson Datsun 240Z 33.80
On Day Two five competitive runs were achieved and times tumbled later in the Day.
Just one existing class record was broken by Lincoln Till 3C-Rally Cars 2WD 2001cc and more than 35.84 secs on run seven and New SA Hillclimb Championship Class Records were set as follows.
– David Hall Road Registered 2WD Sedans & Sports Cars Under 1600cc 38.36 on run 13
– Michael Bishop Road Registered 2WD Sedans & Sports Cars 1601-2000cc 36.56 on run six
– Martin Wallace Road Registered 2WD Sedans & Sports Cars 2001-4000cc 35.58 on run 11
– Mark Rice Registered 2WD Sedans & Sports Cars 4001 and Over 34.23 on run eight
– Michael Keen Road Registered 4WD Sedans & Sports Cars 2001-4000cc 34.20 on run seven
– Damien Hurst Road Registered 4WD Sedans & Sports Cars 4001 and Over 34.24 on run six
– Alistair Dow Road Registered Clubman 2001-4000cc 35.58 on run seven
– Alan Austin 2B/2F Prod Sport Up to 1600cc 36.42 on run 10
– Fletcher Bolton 2B/2F Prod Sports 1601-2000cc 35.65 on run 10
– #220 Tom Ferguson 2B/2F Prod Sports 2001-3000cc 33.80 on run five
– Laurie Houghton 2B/2F Prod Sports 3001cc and Over 36.46 on run seven
– Sarah Pfeiffer 2A Sports CarsOpen/Closed Up to 1600cc 33.61 on run seven
– Roger Lommon 2A Sports Cars Open/Closed 1601-2000cc 36.20 on run five
– Jonathon Finnis 2A Sports Cars Open/Closed 2001-4000cc 35.69 on run seven
– Trevor Pyatt 2A Sports Cars Open/Closed 4001 and Over 36.23 on run two
Times for the Autosport top twelve shoot out (that became a top ten shootout were:
DRIVER CLASS BEST TIME SHOOTOUT %
1 David Mahon Formula Libra 751-1300 29.86 29.57 99.03
2 Michael Keen R/reg 4WD 2001-4000 34.20 34.31 100.32
3 Mark Rice R/Reg 2WD 4001 & Over 34.23 34.36 100.38
4 Geoff Vardon 3D Sports Sedans 1601-2000 34.03 34.20 100.50
5 Michael Arnold 3C-Rally Cars 4WD 34.21 34.39 100.53
6 Tom Ferguson 33.80 33.99 100.56
7 Martin Wallace R/Reg 2WD 2001-4000 35.58 36.00 101.18
8 Damien Hirst R/Reg 4WD 4001 & Over 34.24 34.65 101.20
9 Andrew Sarandis 3J Improved Prod 3001-6000 33.44 33.90 101.38
10 Matthew Woodland Formula Libre 1301-2000 32.99 36.98 112.09
The Collingrove track and grounds were in prime condition and a tribute to all of those volunteers and community members who worked so hard to make this event the success it was.
Collingrove Hillclimb is now ready to conduct the CAMS Applewood Distillery 2017 Australian Hillclimb Championships to be held on October 26 to 29. We look forward to seeing you on the Hill at Collingrove then.