Family flees house fire

A fire caused an estimated $120,000 of damage to a Kaleeba house last night.

A fire caused an estimated $120,000 of damage to a Kaleeba house last night.

A family of five escaped unharmed when a fire tore through their Kalbeeba house last night.

A smoke alarm alerted the couple and their three children to the blaze, which is believed to have started from a faulty ceiling fan at the Lawson Road house just before 1.30am.    

Around six firefighters, and appliances from Concordia CFS and Gawler MFS, attended the scene, containing the fire within two hours. 

“Two adults and three teenagers were home when the fire broke out in a kitchen as a result of a ceiling fan that overheated,” according to a CFS spokesperson. 

“They were able to safely evacuate, thanks to a working smoke alarm.

“Fire crews were quickly on the scene and used breathing apparatus while they extinguished and contained the fire in the kitchen, living and dining area.”

The family were treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation, while the damage is estimated to be around $120,000.

“Significant damage was caused to the kitchen and the roof, while the rest of the home was severely impacted by smoke,” the CFS spokesperson said.  

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop